If someone asks me what my favourite room in our home is, I always say it’s the Kitchen. That may sound strange, as I’m not really big on cooking and Kurt takes care of most of the meals.
The way it’s decorated possibly has a role to play, but it’s mainly for what it means to our family on a daily basis.
The kitchen is the room where we provide nourishment for our family. It’s where we all come together. We all know the saying, “the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” In my home, it’s kind of the other way round 🙂
The kitchen provides our sustenance through food, but it’s also where special connections are made. I done a poll on my Instagram stories and 80% of those who answered, shared the sentiment that the Kitchen is the heart of the home.
Our kitchen is simple and bright. It creates a sense of connectedness among our family. We cook meals together, the kids get involved who are always eager to help with any cutting or cleaning of veggies.
Food nurtures the mind, body and soul. Without it, we wouldn’t survive and the kitchen provides a venue to store and prepare the food and nutrients our bodies need.
Family Fun in the Kitchen
Our Kitchen also provides a space for fun family activities. Cooking and baking is a great bonding experience for us and it gives the kids an opportunity to get a little messy, create new things and learn new recipes.
They are even more inclined to eat their veggies if they had a hand in preparing a meal!
We very rarely eat pre-cooked meals and try to always cook from scratch using fresh produce when cooking our meals. Shopping to cook this way can be time-consuming at times though.
This is why the Daily Dish has been an absolute blessing to us during our busy schedule. They sent us a family box during the first week of the school term and it saved us hours of shopping for groceries and we didnt have the bother of wondering what’s for dinner!
Recipes were set and every ingredient we needed was included in the box.
Their service works as follows:
- They deliver a box with recipes and ingredients for 4 dinners on a Monday
- They have 5 different food menus (catering for 1, 2 or 4 people) including pork-free, banting and vegetarian
- They deliver to the most provinces and areas in SA. Check here to see if they deliver to your area (your home or office).
- You can pause, resume or switch subscription from week to week.
- The Daily Dish is part of the Fairview family – so they get their food directly from the Fairview farm and other local fresh produce and free-range farms
Watch my Instastory highlights to see what we’ve been cooking.
The preparation time for each meal is maximum 30 minutes, which is perfect for our little kitchen assistants!
The Daily Dish is currently running a promotion for a R250 discount off your first dinner box! That’s an amazing saving. Check out their full range of boxes here.
I have some awesome news! The Daily Dish has given me the chance to give 2 readers a chance to win a Family Box of their choice! That’s a box of recipes and ingredients for 4 Dinners.
All you have to do is:
- Follow Hayleys Joys and Daily Dish on Facebook.
- Tag 2 people on the competition post and tell me who does the cooking in your home
- Or head on over to the Instagram post and do the same as above!
Note that the winner needs to complete all steps in order to qualify for the prize. The competition will run until Friday 23 February @11.59pm
**Food Images credit: Daily Dish