Alyssa and Aidan recently made some crunchies at school which they couldn’t stop raving about. They weren’t gluten free crunchies, like the recipe I’m going to share, however they kept begging Kurt to make some at home and he finally surrendered.
I recently bought some macadamia nut flour at a market as I wanted to bake a bread with it, however that never materialised.
Kurt found a crunchies recipe online which he improvised and substituted a number of ingredients, which in the end turned out to be a winner!
Gluten Free Crunchies
The kids loved it and so did I , so I thought I’d share it here as it really makes for a healthy, tasty gluten free snack!
2 cups gluten free oats
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup macadamia nut flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup raw honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup trail mix or mixed seeds
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a square baking tray and line with baking paper.
- Mix oats, macadamia nut flour, coconut, cinnamon and seeds/trail mix together in a bowl.
- Put the honey and coconut oil in a saucepan and stir over a medium heat until the coconut oil has melted (or melt in microwave) Remove from heat and stir in the bicarb and vanilla.
- Pour hot mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together well.
- Tip the mixture into tray and gently flatten evenly
- Bake the crunchies for 25-30 minutes.
- Set aside until completely cold and then cut into squares